CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Backing up life

I am very behind on blogging and there has been so much happening to us lately. However, none of it has been very good news and the feelings that associate with the stories overwhelms me. I made a decision when I started my blog, that I wasn't going to blog when I was upset, because then I would either 1. say something that I would regret, or 2. sound/feel like I was looking for sympathy for all the wrong reasons and I'm not. But here is a little bit of what is going on.

As I have talked about before, we should be out of the Marines, but we are waiting results from Jared's PEB Board that was submitted 6 months ago. (The PEB is a fact-finding board that evaluates all cases of physical disability on behalf of the Marine/Sailor and the Service in accordance with the Secretary of the Navy Instruction 1850.4E (Disability Evaluation Manual). The PEB investigates the nature, cause, degree of severity, and probable permanency of the disability concerning the service member referred to the board. The board evaluates the physical condition of the service member against the physical requirements of his/her particular office, grade, rank or rating. The PEB provides a full and fair hearing as required by § 1214, Title 10 United States Code (10 U.S.C 1214), and makes findings and recommendations required by law to establish the eligibility of a service member to be retained on active duty due to fitness, or separated or retired from the service because of a physical disability.) We have been hoping for 30% because that would mean that he will be officially retired and we will have the benefits for the rest of our lives because of his injuries. When Jared submitted the board he had to make copies of his medical record (Which is larger than most people who have been in for over 10 years) and they looked over the major things wrong with him. He had at least 13 (Back surgery, Esophagus surgery, Central auditory processing, Tulio, Ulcers that burst and he was bleeding internally, So on and so forth) Well it's been a really hard thing to deal with because we are just stuck and we can't make plans for our future or anything. In turn that has put us both in a bad place both mentally and physically so we have been very unhappy for quite some time. Needless to say it's taking its toll. This week has been the breaking point for us. Tuesday night was not a good night for us so we both went to bed upset. Wednesday was the major jump off though. When I woke up I was upset and could not stop crying. I had reached my final breaking point and just lost it. I have not done that in a long time so I just couldn't stop, well I made the decision that because I was affected so much by everything that I was going to give myself the day off (I ended up working a half day anyways). Before I left work Jared called me, he said   "well I have good news..and bad news..the good news is that I finally got my board back. The bad news..they only want to offer me 10%" So of course Immediately I started crying again, I knew that meant that we had to fight it and that means longer time before we are finished. I went home for the afternoon and we both just looked at each other when I walked in the door. we said what do we do now? we agreed that a nap was in order so we could get our head back on straight.

After we woke up we decided to go out and get a drink, being in the house was just making us feel more down. Jared's dad had asked him the question "Are you ready and willing to fight them again? Do you guys have the energy for all that?" Jared was seriously considering saying no I don't, I am thinking about giving in. But I told him that wasn't an option, we have come way to far and have fought with them way to long to just give up, roll over, and play dead. It sucks that it means we stay in longer but it is so worth it in the long run. He has these injuries that will affect him the rest of his life and I feel like they should take care of him because of it. So today Jared met with an attorney at the navel hospital and we are starting into our new fight. We have 5 days to give them our response...But trust me friends..the gloves are coming off and we are going to get the justice we deserve! Wish us luck!



Much love,

3 comments:

Laura Padilla De La Sierra said...

Life can be very hard sometimes... You sure know that. But hang in there, take a step at a time, and you'll see things will work out just fine. Don't loose hope, because you need to be strong, confident and very supportive to each other...If you can be that, you'll have a big advantage!!! Best luck!!! Keep us posted!!!

Kaylee and Phil said...

I'm sorry it's rough!! That would be seriously stressful! I love ya girl! I seriously hope it works here soon for ya. You guys definately deserve it!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. We had the same problem when James returned from Iraq. He had pretty much torn his shoulder apart and they just claimed it has a shoulder sprain. Even though he had a HUGE surgery (which should have been 3 different ones all in one) to fix it. Good luck and I hope that things work out sooner then later!!