CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 28, 2011

Would you Like some Potatoes with that thumb?

WARNING....Graphic to some!

Last Friday I was privileged  to have a good friend visit me from Wyoming. I was so excited that she was coming to spend the weekend with me because I always enjoy spending time with her. When I was last in Wyoming I had promised her that I would make her scalloped potatoes if she were to ever come see me in Montana. I love the taste of scalloped potatoes and they are really easy to make, they are just time consuming. So In hopes to save me some time when I make the dish, I bought myself a mandoline slicer. For those of you who don't know what that is, it looks like this. 
After Michelle had arrived friday night, I started to make dinner while she made herself at home. I began to prep the potatoes and decided to try out my new slicer as seen above (yes that was the exact one I used.) I sliced the first three potatoes with ease and was liking how quickly the process was going. On the fourth potato I was down to the last little bit and suddenly the finger guard slips and Wham! There goes the side of my thumb. It happened so fast I didn't know what to think. Immediately I started bleeding because it took off probably 4 layers of skin (I had the slicer depth pretty low). I turned on the water and applied pressure so I wouldn't make a mess all over the kitchen. Michelle came in to see if she could help with anything and I told her that I just cut myself and it was ok. I remember saying that I was a little light headed but it was no big deal. She left to change her clothes and when she came back in the room I was laying on the kitchen floor passed. out. It was so crazy because I have never passed out before in my life and it almost felt like I was in a dream. I felt like I was in my bed and that I was just waking up, when I opened my eyes I was staring at the kitchen ceiling and michelle rushed in to help. I felt so bad because that isn't how I planned to spend our evening. Michelle called for pizza and I laid on the couch to try and stop the bleeding. After about 3 hours of pressure and elevation we decided to go the the ER. Hospitals are not my thing so I was not thrilled about this but I knew that the bleeding had to stop.

They applied a pressure gauze so I couldn't feel my thumb at all and left that to sit for about an hour before a doctor came to see me. I also hadn't had a tetanus shot since I was in elementary school so they said I had to have one. When they mentioned needles I panicked, I don't know why I am so afraid of them. They numbed me up, cleaned it out, gave me a shot, and I was on my way out the door. I had to keep gauze on for 48 hours and then change the bandage everyday. I'm just glad that it wasn't worse, and I am so glad that Michelle was with me. The next night I made the potatoes again, but I used a knife like I should have in the first place :) Needless to say that slicer will probably go to the trash. Now that it's been a week my thumb is healing nicely, but it still doesn't have a lot of feeling.  It was wild!

 a few hours after the cut
 pressure bandage

 after they finally got it to stop bleeding
 my 48 hour bandage
A few days after the cut




No comments: